Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Rabindranath Tagore's The Victory

Google, most of the time, works like magic. Many times I google something and keep reading as the net takes me on a wonderful journey.

One day I was wandering on James Nachtwey's site VIIphoto.com when I spotted that the photo agency plans to organise a photography workshop near Chernobyl site and the ghost town of Pripyat. Some areas around the nuclear reactor continue to be out of bound for radiation fears. I googled and found more about Pripyat and what happened that fateful night. It makes very disturbing reading. I also found a Chernobyl victim and her poems, which I have posted for you all to read.

I don't know why I suddenly thought of googling for a beautiful short story by Rabindranath Tagore that was part of my final year BA Literature syllabus. And, I actually found it on a wonderful online book resource. It is called The Victory, and the original English translation is by the poet laureate himself. Here it is for those who want to read The Victory. What I like about the story is the simplicity of Tagore's language and the unmistakable classical, oriental imagery.

Do tell me how you liked it.

No comments: