Friday, March 26, 2010

Two poems

Srishti Shenoy, the lovely daughter of my Sharjah-based friends Vidya and Praveen Shenoy, has arrived in India on annual summer vacation, and guess what she has started doing lately – writing poetry! And I remember a line from Polish poetess and Nobel laureate Wislawa Szymborska: I prefer the absurdity of writing poems to the absurdity of not writing poems!

So, I reproduce the first two poems Srishti, who is eight years old and will join Class III this April in Sharjah’s DPS School, has written for her school magazine.

If I were…
If I were a butterfly,
I would spread out my wings
If I were a bear,
I would eat sweet things
If I were a crocodile,
I would go snap snap
If I were a fish,
I would go swim swim
But I am happy to be me…



Lovely Colours
Red is bright
Orange is light
Yellow is a sun
Green lettuce in a bun!

Blue is water
Indigo is darker
Violet is the last
So lovely are the colours of the rainbow!

I don't think I even knew how to clean my running nose when I was eight, forget writing rhyming poetry. When I pointed out that the last two lines don't rhyme at all, she replied matter-of-factly, "No they don't". Thats good I thought. That way, she would come out sooner out of the confines of rhyme meters.

3 comments:

Abhijit Bhatlekar said...

Satish,

Please convay Srishti, I am very keen to do her "Author's Picture" for her first compilation. This assignment dosent involve remunaration..!!
blessings to her,
Abhijit

Crosscourt Winner said...

Really nice lines from Srishti! best wishes to her! Kumar

Unknown said...

Hi Satya. Strolled into you personal space for the first time today. Was particularly proud to see Srishti's work up here. Although I knew about the first (If I were) one I had absolutely no clue about the second (rainbow colours). I am elated. Hope to return here soon. Shall watch this space.